News: eh, nuq 'oH, doc?

Login  |  Register
collapse

* User Info

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

* Board Stats

• stats Total Members: 18
  • stats Total Posts: 596
  • stats Total Topics: 69
  • stats Total Categories: 6
  • stats Total Boards: 18
  • stats Most Online: 12

Author Topic: Star Trek: Discovery  (Read 1488 times)

Raymond T.

Re: Star Trek: Discovery
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2017, 08:34:26 PM »
People! Feel free to register and add your opinions in this thread! I love it you contact me on Facebook. But I love it more if we can get the conversation going HERE!!!  :dance1:
"Hang on to your dreams. The future is built on dreams".

Daniel

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2017, 11:57:14 PM »

Episode 7

[Spoiler Alert]

It is almost impressive how a show can get better as a sci-fi and worse as a Star Trek all at the same time. The groundshog day trope has been done to death in sci-fi. But as a story it works here. There is a clear rhyme and reason why the characters can still progress. The reasoning behind the motivations are excellent. As a sci-fi story it was done perfectly... However it totally did not fit within what we know within the Star Trek lore. To start off with, Michael says she knows the crystal Mudd uses from back on Vulcan where it was linked to time travel... But it wasn't until Spock travelled SEVERAL TIMES through time, before the vulcan council finally accepted that time travel was possible. Not until Spock's famous calculations were brought in as proof. Star Trek Enterprise is supposed to be within canon for Discovery. That whole show was about how no one on Vulcan believed T'Pol that she had dealt with time travel. T'Pol herself had a hard time dealing with the temperal wars, because her core teaching was that time travel according to the Vulcan coucil was impossible... But Michael knew about this crystal... As for the space creature... Falkor did not age well... *starts singing 'Neverending stooorrryyyy'...*

And what about that "party"? It was more a frat house party. These officers may be off the clock, but they are at beck and call 24/7! And they proceed to drink? And drink hard?! Plus that music so did not fit the style for a starfleet gathering. All it did was solidify the arguement that this is NOT Star Trek. Any potential feel of this being Trek went out the window.

And finally... Rainn Wilson is an fine actor and a decend comedian. And so is Sonequa Martin-Green an excellent actress. But dear lord... The dialogue that had to work with was horrible. The direction was painful to watch. There was nothing to work with for them. And I don't know who Wilson was playing. But that was not Harry Mudd. He may be a creep. He may sell his mother for a quick buck. But he is not a killer. Nothing written in the story spoke the character of Mudd. If they want a character like this, that would have been fine! But not with that character or his name.

But I enjoyed Babylon: Discovery through all of its faults. The heart was force-fed into us this time. But at least in this episode they actually tried to give us human emotions. Give us a writer and a director who can make let that emote from the actors, and then we might have something there. But at this moment it still surprises me that this show is confirmed for a season 2, and a show like the Orville is still hanging in limbo if they can get a second showing...  :unsure1:

for one... really.. again with this timeloop thing.. we seen one in tng, voy, ds9 and even one in tos.. i mean come on.. the party was a rip of from the first re-make movie like here we got a better party.. also when you know when ya ganna die why dance... kill the females and rape the man... erm.. well in short off.
also was there something wrong with this show.. at some point i got lots of noises or snow like thingy on my screen as it was a low bitrate video..

Raymond T.

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 12:57:35 AM »
for one... really.. again with this timeloop thing.. we seen one in tng, voy, ds9 and even one in tos.. i mean come on..
I give them three episodes, before we get the "He/She is a clone / Evil Doubleganger / imposter"... Aside from meeting their Mirror Universe counter-parts later on...  :sleepyeyes:

Black Arachnis

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 01:52:57 AM »
for one... really.. again with this timeloop thing.. we seen one in tng, voy, ds9 and even one in tos.. i mean come on..
I give them three episodes, before we get the "He/She is a clone / Evil Doubleganger / imposter"... Aside from meeting their Mirror Universe counter-parts later on...  :sleepyeyes:
wow, a whole three episodes? daaaang... as for this week's episode... really? needed a reason for blowing Discovery up a few dozen times huh?

Raymond T.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 12:34:20 PM »
wow, a whole three episodes? daaaang... as for this week's episode... really? needed a reason for blowing Discovery up a few dozen times huh?
Well... That's my guess... Could be sooner...  ;)

Daniel

« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2017, 04:22:27 PM »
well final part of the first season was showed... did anyone noticed the hidden message on how to klingons would be looking in the future??

so having sex with a human every klingon would be looking like what we know of tos and tng?? i wonder if in season two we would see the #metoo thing as to i had sex with a klingon... i mean come on.. they ncan do better than that,,,

what i am glad of is the end of that ridiculas deadthship being destroyed.. but they way they did was ridiculas.. and we now know he becoems the traveler from tng, wow.. how original..btw, the comic of discovery explains it!! yes you also need to read the comic book...

november the 8 season 2 on netflix guys..
« Last Edit: November 14, 2017, 04:24:23 PM by Daniel »

Black Arachnis

« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »
read the comic? HA! now if there was a comic about The Orville... :eyebrow:

Daniel

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2017, 01:59:01 AM »
i would read that  :D :D

Black Arachnis

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2017, 02:14:50 AM »
I mean, give them my hardearned cash for comics? only if I find the series worthy and let me tell ya, Discsuckery aint worth it IMHO... if it wasn't on Netflix which I already pay for anyways, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. yes, I said Discsucker instead of Discovery. fully aware of that and fully aware of the implications...

Daniel

« Reply #24 on: November 15, 2017, 09:00:18 AM »
I mean, give them my hardearned cash for comics? only if I find the series worthy and let me tell ya, Discsuckery aint worth it IMHO... if it wasn't on Netflix which I already pay for anyways, I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. yes, I said Discsucker instead of Discovery. fully aware of that and fully aware of the implications...

i totally agree with ya.. as for comics and other kind of books.. its kinda sucks, tng never had any books in the period it came on television, only voyager or ds9.. but those where written by different stortlook.

if i wanna find out about discovery i want to know that in a good placed serie with at least 24 episodes and not 8. to me its kinda like mass effect andromeda effect..

orville deserves a comic book and a storybook (no not once upon storybrook, but space).. i means seth knew how gene would think and besides its so damn good written..

Raymond T.

« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2017, 09:14:30 PM »
i would read that  :D :D
Me too!  :thumbsup:

Raymond T.

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2018, 03:15:58 PM »

Episode 10: Despite Yourself

So firstly, I did not get the memo that they changed the airdate for the episode. I wrote down January 15th after the last episode aired, but appearently they decided to move it up a week. That can mean only one of two things. Either they are excited about the show and want to show it off early, or they are worried about the show and want to get through it as fast as possible. Unfortunately, its CBS! Who the hell knows...

[Spoiler Alert]
So this was my reaction during the beginning of the episode...

Yawn...  :sleepyeyes:

Boring...  :neutral:

Whatever..  :sleepyeyes:

"Tilly! Go sit in the captain's chair"

Ooh!!  :o

"Open hailing frequencies!"

:D

From one moment to then next Discovery finally drew my attention! I think with the whole Captain Killy bit the show got my first chuckle! Jonathan Frakes (aka Commander Will Riker) was at the helm of directing this thing, and it showed. It also showed the state the show was in when he got his hands on it. It must have been very difficult to change the show from...whatever it was trying to do... To actually get a sense back that this is supposed to be Star Trek. I don't know how he did it, but for the first time I actually began to care for the characters. Not completely. But its pulling me towards the right direction.

The Tyler stuff still feels not to belong in this. But after talking with people since last episode who have served in Afghanistan, I have been told that Star Trek Discovery did an excellent job of portraying a victom of Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. In fact, the person I spoke with told me that this was the first time on TV or Film that the portrail really hit his mark of what he had seen in his three tours of duty in the Gulf. So I am not taking that away from the show.

It would appear that fans need to re-watch the 'In A Mirror, Darkly' episode two-parter from Star Trek Enterprise for this episode and the next. The Discovery is indeed stuck in the mirror universe. And are leaning towards the DS9 and Enterprise version of the mirror universe with the Terran-First mentality. And... It was actually done very well! They eventually discover that the events from the 'In A Mirror, Darkly' episode is what the Terran Empire gave them the foothold that had gotten in the galaxy, and are planning on finding the U.S.S. Defiant, that had found its way from the TOS series into the Mirror Enterprise one.

The episode still has a lot of problems, but Jonathan Frakes managed to work with it and actually made a decent episode from it. You have to get through the first 15 minutes to get to the good...well...better parts of it. But for what we were given the last episodes, this was really not that bad. It's definately the first time I am looking forward to seeing the next episode.  :thumbup1:

Daniel

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
disney is looking at the corner... lol... and yet i whish disney would have bought star trek..

Daniel Aalders

« Reply #28 on: January 23, 2018, 02:03:26 PM »
 :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored: :censored:

Black Arachnis

« Reply #29 on: January 23, 2018, 11:12:35 PM »
yeahh... I am fearing the worst... I don't feel the show is really improving...  :-(